iLEARN User Policy
iLEARN is the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) used at http://ilearn.bivibag.co.uk It is based on the Moodle virtual learning environment (http://www.moodle.org), a free open source software package designed using sound pedagogical principles, to help educators create effective online learning communities. Moodle is distributed under the GNU General Public License.
The iLEARN VLE is defined as the implementation of the Moodle course management system and all other linked software tools for the support and delivery of teaching, learning and research at iLEARN. Hereafter it will be referred to as ‘The iLEARN VLE’.
The iLEARN VLE provides a range of features for the delivery, support, administration and participation in teaching and learning activities. The features include content delivery and collaboration between tutors and learners, such as:
- Content creation or upload;
- Discussion forums and chat rooms;
- Messaging tools;
- Quizzes; and
- Monitoring of users’ online activity.
The iLEARN VLE is integrated with the Learner Records database to enable the creation of accounts for enrolled learners and their allocation to the appropriate study areas. Other software and web services may also be linked to provide an integrated learning environment for staff and learners.
Purpose of the User Policy
The purpose of the iLEARN VLE User Policy is to specify user responsibilities and to promote the appropriate use of the iLEARN VLE for the protection of all members of the iLEARN community. The User Policy applies both within and outwith iLEARN premises.
Please note that users include ‘Guests’ and other ad hoc learners attending short courses with iLEARN.
- All users must register to use the iLEARN VLE.
- All registered users must agree to the iLEARN VLE User Policy and any other applicable iLEARN policies.
- All iLEARN policies are available at https://www.bivibag.co.uk/?page_id=45 These Policies cover the whole period that the user is a member of the learning community at iLEARN.
- On registration, users must give their consent to iLEARN’s processing of their personal data via the iLEARN VLE and to acknowledge iLEARN’s Data Protection Statement.
Users of the iLEARN VLE must agree to:
- Not use the iLEARN VLE for anything else other than for the purposes of teaching, learning and research. However, incidental personal use, for example via the social forums, is acceptable.
- Not use the iLEARN VLE for personal commercial use, for example marketing.
- Not use the iLEARN VLE for uploading, storing, viewing or transmitting any material which is (or may be considered to be) defamatory, inflammatory, discriminatory, obscene or offensive.
- Not to use the personal messaging system within the ILEARN VLE to send messages which are racist, sexist, abusive or offensive. The personal messaging system records messages, and if there is a complaint the messages (including deleted messages) can be viewed. Messages are not routinely checked to see what people are saying to each other; this would be considered an invasion of privacy.
- Not misrepresent iLEARN or bring it into disrepute in any way through the use of the iLEARN VLE.
- Be responsible for moderating discussion forums which you may have created. Always act in a professional manner.
- Be polite and courteous to others when using the iLEARN VLE. The iLEARN VLE is not to be used to libel, slander, or harass any other persons.
- Not plagiarise in submitted postings or assignments.
- Not breach the copyright of the iLEARN or any third party by copying from the iLEARN VLE without authorisation.
Copyright of the course materials and content of the iLEARN VLE are owned or controlled by BiviBag Education unless otherwise stated.
Any copies of third party materials will be clearly labelled with warnings about any copyright restrictions.
Your Responsibilities and Data Protection
Users of the iLEARN VLE must agree to:
- Look after their own username and password. Do not share your password or logon identity with anyone else and do not use the username and password of other users.
- Keep physical access to the iLEARN VLE secure. For example, do not login to the iLEARN VLE and then leave your computer unattended.
- Not to attempt to gain unauthorised access to any part of the iLEARN VLE.
- Not post material which contains viruses or other programs which may disrupt the iLEARN systems.
- Not upload private, confidential or sensitive material unless this is authorised.
- Keep their own data up-to-date and secure.
Understand that BiviBag Education will not take responsibility for any loss of information, which has been posted on the iLEARN VLE, once users cease to be formally associated with the iLEARN.
Certain activities will be regarded as gross misconduct by BiviBag Education, and are subject to severe penalties for users, including suspension of use of the iLEARN VLE or termination of their studies with BiviBag Education.
These activities include:
- deliberate interruption to the use of the iLEARN VLE;
- gaining or attempting to gain unauthorised access to any part of the iLEARN VLE or information stored therein;
- unauthorised disclosure of personal data;
- wilful or reckless infringement of any intellectual property rights of iLEARN or third parties; and
- the viewing, transmitting or storing any material which is (or may be considered to be) defamatory, inflammatory, discriminatory, obscene or offensive.
Where to find help?
If you have any queries about getting logged in, finding your modules or other issues, please contact us through this link
You can download a PDF copy of this policy here: BiviBag_iLEARN_User_Policy_2017_v1