I’ve been working with technology since 1981 when I acquired a Sinclair ZX-Spectrum to create spelling and maths tests for my kids. I also managed a computerised journey planning system for the ambulance service (at a time when a 30Mbyte hard drive was the size of a large desk).
The training of staff gradually became more interesting than the computing, and after a break to gain a degree I started teaching in an FE college in 1991. As the only owner of a computer in the department I subsequently became the IT lecturer.
- In 1999 I developed Coleg Llandrillo’s first online learning website.
- In 2001 I became a teacher educator, becoming Head of Teacher Education for the largest college in Wales from 2008 until 2014.
- In 2002 I used an early VLE (Technikal) to deliver teacher education modules
- Between 2002 and 2006 I worked as an e-Tutor for Bangor University using Colloquia.
- In 2003 I set up Moodle to run teacher education modules (two years before the College adopted this platform).
- In 2008 I ran a pilot project using PebblePad (the eportfolio platform) with Degree students.
- In 2009 I adopted Twitter , my single best source of inspiration for developing teaching and learning ideas. The sharing of ideas and resources through things like crowd sourcing and TeachMeets have had real benefits for developing teaching and learning projects.
- In 2013 (with Dr Claire Lloyd) we ran a project to improve trainee teachers’ Personal Development Planning using Google Apps for Education.
I’m a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a Fellow of the Institute for Learning, a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, a Chartered Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, and hold a Master’s Degree and a Post-Graduate Certificate in Education, as well as Summer, Winter and the UIMLA International Mountain Leader Awards.
My international experience includes travel and tourism work in Iceland, India, Pakistan, Svalbard (Spitsbergen) and Europe, and in-country staff development with teachers in China, Croatia, Oman, Pakistan, Thailand and Vietnam.